After showing 1000s of houses and condos for sale till date, I am of the opinion that kitchen have always attracted Buyers to consider a property or a well done kitchen always gives upper edge to your house or condo listing. I have seen buyers not willing to consider a property just because of basic kitchen, even though rest of the house was looking good. When we start talking about renovations, 1st consideration, in most of the cases is given to Kitchen, specially, if it is not showing up well.
If you are listing your property, there is no point, you over spend anywhere. But sometimes, if small renovations can make the difference to your bottom line…..then why not!
Following kitchen renovations, can do the job, based on what is missing/required in your kitchen to make it look appealing:
1. Backsplash – This small 1 day project, can make your kitchen look fresh and modern. There is huge variety available in the market, you shall just make sure, it is matching your cabinets and wall paint. You should just know, where you get them cheap and how to install.
2. Cabinets – This is a 1 week project. Most of the time refacing the kitchen cabinets works just fine, rather then replacing the whole cabinet, as doing later is 4 times the cost. The basic refacing project consists of installing new cabinet door and drawer fronts and covering the exposed face frames of the cabinets with a matching wood or plastic veneer. Many times just changing the handles can make the difference. No need to go for a branded kitchen cabinets as even in Million dollar homes, look and feel matters more then the brand.
3. Counter Top – This is 2-4 days project. A Good looking granite or quartz countertop, can make a big difference in overall look of your kitchen. This involves choosing the right stone, which matches your interior, working with a fabricator, who can cut it to your requirement and finally the installer who can handle this delicate installation, which requires lots of precision and skill. Walking to a retail store for this, will put a dent in your entire budget, as they are double or even 3 times the cost of a wholesaler.
4. Appliances – Stainless Steel is in Fashion. White basic appliances can kill your kitchen…..no matter what else you have there. There are many place in Greater Toronto area, which offer you good bargains depending on time of the year. Various Scratch and dent stores can also be a good source for shopping on these, as many times you will be surprised looking at the stickers. Just do some research before finalizing, as every deal in these stores is not a bargain.
5. Floor tiles – This is the last thing you want to change, as the whole kitchen is sitting on these but many times it is just the grout between the tiles, which is making it look basic and dirty. There are solutions available in the market, which can clean the grout and/or make the existing floor tiles look fresh.
Lastly, a thorough cleaning and organizing of kitchen is also very important. It is always a good idea to keep only the amount of utensils, cutlery, cooking equipment or grocery, which can fit in your kitchen rather then over stuffing, which will only make your kitchen look small.
To help our buyers and sellers, we have tied up with various manufacturers/fabricators/contractors, who can help you accomplish all or most of the above, in almost half the cost, if you compare it doing it through a retailers.
From sellers prospective, small renovations can sometimes make 1000s of dollars difference in their bottom line. Whereas from home buyers prospective, Buying a home which requires small renovations is not a bad idea….as in most cases, you will end up saving considerably as compared to something which is ready made and shining. We can always help home buyer get mortgages, which can add a small renovations as above added to their mortgages.
We are committed to provide our clients the best!